MPS held an event this morning at Audubon Technology & Communication Middle School, 3300 S. 39th St., to celebrate the official announcement of the district’s federal GEAR UP grant.
MPS is receiving $14.8 million from the U.S. Dept. of Education, along with $11.7 million from local partners to provide support and services to help students from low-income families prepare for college. Another $3 million in district funds is going toward toward the seven-year program.
Grants have been awarded in 19 states to help kids and their parents focus on academic preparation and motivation and family preparedness for college.
Recently, MPS also announced the opening of the first of two area College Access Centers.
“This is a tremendous opportunity to help thousands of students prepare for, and succeed in, college,” said Sen. Herb Kohl. “This funding will provide tangible help to college-bound students and their families, from scholarships to readiness guidance. I look forward to seeing some strong results.”
The grant money will help 2,765 students from 13 schools visit college campuses, access tutoring and get financial literacy counseling. About $3 million will underwrite student scholarships. Seventh graders can also take part in a High School Bootcamp to help ready them for high school.
The schools taking part in the first year include:
- H.W. Longfellow K8 School
- Audubon Technology & Communication Middle School
- John Burroughs Middle School
- Lincoln Center of the Arts Middle School
- Roosevelt Creative Arts Middle School
- Bay View Middle and High Schools
- Northwest Secondary
In year three, six more schools will join:
- Audubon Technology & Communication Center High School
- Lynde & Harry Bradley Technology and Trade School
- Milwaukee High School of the Arts
- James Madison Academic Campus
- Alexander Hamilton High School
- Harold S. Vincent High School
The MPS GEAR UP partners are:
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
- Career Cruising
- The College Board
- College for Every Student, supported through the GE Foundation
- Fresh Coast Classic (Running Rebels)
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction’s Wisconsin Educational Opportunities Program
- Alverno College, Department of Advancement
- Cardinal Stritch University School of Urban Initiatives
- Marquette University Educational Opportunities Program
- Milwaukee Area Technical College Department of PreCollege Education
- University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh Center for Academic Support and Diversity
- University of Wisconsin – Madison Dept. of Precollege Enrichment
- Opportunity Program for Learning Excellence
- Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation
- MPS Foundation
- Fund for Wisconsin Scholars
- University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Department of Development and Alumni Relations, Trio and Pre-College Programs and Center for Urban Initiatives and Research