Ten MPS students and educators have been awarded Herb Kohl Educational Foundation scholarships and fellowships.
Five students won $1,000 Kohl Foundation Initiative Scholarships, which recognize “exceptional initiative in the classroom” and “strong promise for succeeding in college and beyond.”
The winning MPS students are:
- Aaliyah Barnes – Samuel Morse/John Marshall School for the Gifted and Talented
- Arieal Jones – Milwaukee School of Languages
- Brianna Portwood – Casimir Pulaski High School
- Taliyah Robinson – Milwaukee High School of the Arts
- Pamela Villanueva – Alexander Hamilton High School
Five educators won $1,000 Kohl Foundation Fellowships and were commended for their “superior ability to inspire a love of learning in their students, their ability to motivate others and for their leadership and service within and outside the classroom.”
Winning MPS educators are:
- Renee Bast – Academy of Accelerated Learning
- Monica Czyzewski – Lincoln Avenue School
- Steven Glaeser – Ronald Reagan College Preparatory High School
- David Long – Rufus King International School
- Shoshannah Pass – William G. Bruce School
The teachers’ schools all won $1,000, as well, bringing the total grant to $15,000 for MPS students and faculty.
The awards will be presented at noon on Saturday, March 23 at Greenfield High School, 4800 S. 60th St.